Tuesday 9 December 2014

Empty Shelf/Mad Reviewer Challenge #43 - The Silkworm, Robert Galbraith

I can't remember the last time I eagerly anticipated the next in a series as much as this book. I loved The Cuckoo's Calling, Galbraith's fantastic debut, and wanted more of Strike and Robin as soon as I'd put it down. Thanks to my local library (yay for libraries!) I finally got my hands on it.

Strike has found himself with a lot more business since he famously solved the Lula Landry case of The Cuckoo's Calling and now even has a waiting list. However, when one day a woman invades his office asking him to find her missing husband he is faced with a dilemma. Potentially take on a case for free for someone he has no prior loyalties to, or shun her in favour of some better, well-paying client? He chooses the former and embarks on one of the more difficult cases he has come up against, delving into the exclusive, political, even dark world of publishing.

As with Cuckoo, the plot is well-paced, flows well, with more than a few parts finding me practically sticking my nose up against the book to make sure I didn't miss a thing. The scene of the murder, for one, is grotesque and horrifying but brilliant in its description. We meet a whole host of deliciously awful characters, as well as some who are downright pitiful, and get a deeper insight into Robin and Matthew's relationship. Who knows what will happen with them? As for the 'who-dunnit' reveal... maybe a more perceptive reader than me would have seen it coming, but it was excellently done and a thrilling surprise, not least because of the circumstances surrounding it (you'll know what I mean when you read it - I don't want to give anything away, here).

A hugely enjoyable read, and one of my favourite of 2014. Give me more, Galbraith!

No comments:

Post a Comment